Welcome to the World of the
Larson Brothers Creations
The story of the Larson brothers begins in Sweden in the town of Luddet
in the area named Kalmar.
While still 18 years old Carl traveled across Sweden to Gothenburg. On April
16, 1886, he boarded a steamship bound for Hull, Great Britain.
From there he traveled across the country to Liverpool and then sailed to New York City, destination Chicago. August, his younger brother and
later to be career partner, followed the same route a year later and joined
Carl. They worked together for Chicago
musical instrument builders until 1900 when August, with the help of
financial backers, bought Maurer & Co. from the retiring Robert Maurer.
The house brand in those early years was of course Maurer but the brothers
also built guitar and mandolin orchestra instruments for Wm. C. Stahl and W.
J. Dyer who claimed to be the makers. The Larsons added the Prairie State
and Euphonon brands in later years. Carl retired in 1940 and the business was
dissolved with the death of August in 1944. For a complete history of the
firm and the wonderful instruments, buy “The Larsons Creations Guitars and
Mandolins”, by Robert Carl Hartman, grandson of Carl Larson. For more on-line
insight, see the instrument “Gallery” and “Magazine Articles” sections of
this site. Correspondence welcome.